[MPlayer-users] Behind a proxy

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Mon Aug 18 09:54:49 CEST 2003

Anupam wrote:

> I don't know whether someone else has noticed this. It may be
> that I'm missing something.
> MPlayer understands the 'http_proxy' shell variable but dosen't
> understand the 'no_proxy' variable. So whenever I try to connect to a
> local http stream (on servers in my LAN behind a proxy), it goes to
> check the 'http_proxy' variable and tries to contact it without giving
> any consideration to 'no_proxy'. How to get over this?
> Is it something that I'm missing.

I have the same problem, but fortunately our proxy-server is smart enough to
route back the request to the internal network. Still this is of course
slow, since everything is now routed through the proxy-server.

As workaround I set http_proxy to "" (causing MPlayer to complain about an
invalid proxy-address and try to access the stream directly, which is what I
want) and back to our server-address, depending on the stream I want to
access.

Regards,

Armin