[MPlayer-users] Re: recording from video tapes (a novice question)

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Aug 11 20:06:24 CEST 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003  Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Monday 11 August 2003 08:24, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, the created file doesn't seem to contain sound. There
> > > is no sound when replaying with pia or xine. You can check yourselves,
>
> This is most certainly because your mixer settings are wrong IMO.

I would be very glad if the problem was so simple.

> Remember:
> There are different settings for sound output

Do you mean "vol"?

> and sound recording!

Do you mean "line"? My TV card is connected by a cable to Line input
of the sound card.

> (You have
> to select which channels to record,

I don't see such an option in xaumix.

>for example.)
>
> Check that you're able to record the sound you hear with _any_ sound program.
> Even a program that visualizes sound will be OK, as long as it does not
> visualize data which it plays (e.g. no xmms, but for example krecord).

I use Knoppix 3.2 of 2003-05-03 as the testbed. It doesn't contain
krecord, but has audacity. However audacity complains about its
default settings, it says that /dev/dsp is invalid playback device. I
am more and more confused :-(.

Regards

Janusz

--