[MPlayer-users] trouble playing Sorenson Video 3 (SVQ3) files

William R Sherman wsherman at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 8 01:20:55 CEST 2003

Hello Mplayers,

I'm having trouble playing a downloaded video clip using mplayer.
I can hear the audio, but the video will not play.  I'm using a
recent version of mplayer (0.90rc4-2.96 -- from an AMD rpm I
found on the web), and I have a recent version of ffmpeg that
is capable of playing Sorenson-3 videos.  I know this works
because xine plays the file fine using the ffmpeg codecs.

The reported error is that it can't find some Windows DLL file:
	/usr/local/lib/win32/qtmlClient.dll

I've tried using the "-vc" option to avoid the "qtvideo" codecs,
but that hasn't helped.  I hope someone can explain what I'm
doing wrong in how I attempt to use the ffmpeg codecs instead
of the qtvideo ones.  (I'm sure mplayer supporters don't want
xine playing videos they can't play!)  Here is what I tried (and
failed):
	% mplayer ThePassion.mov
	% mplayer -vc qtsvq3 ThePassion.mov
	% mplayer -vc ffmpeg ThePassion.mov
	% mplayer -vc ffsvq3 ThePassion.mov
	% mplayer -vc ffmpeg12 ThePassion.mov
	% mplayer -vc -qtvideo, ThePassion.mov

Often when I try to force the codec, I get the message:
	"Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33515653."

Also, the ffplay program handles the video fine, but adds noise
to the audio, and loses sync between audio and video.

Here is where you can download the offending file -- it's about
15Meg:
	http://www.movie-list.net/ThePassion.mov

I've run across other files with unplayable video (still SQV3),
and also unplayable audio (QDM2), which also seems to want the
qtmlClient.dll.  Preferably of course, I'd rather not have to
depend on some windows DLL -- especially since I know other
plays work fine without it.

	Thanks in advance,
	Bill

--
Bill Sherman
VR Impresario & co-author "Understanding Virtual Reality"
wsherman at ncsa.uiuc.edu