[MPlayer-users] Problems with Xvid

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Apr 27 09:48:41 CEST 2003

Guillermo Juan wrote:
> Hello, first of all, sorry me for my english. I`m from
> Argentina. My problem is this:
> I can see movies in divx perfect, with subtitles and
> everything. But now i have a movie with xvid codecs,
> and i can see it well. Whe the movie start, an advise
> appear saying to me that my cpu is too slow. But, when
> i try to see this movie with Xine or aviplay i see it
> well, but without subtitles.
> I install the Xvid codecs, but i don´t know how can i
> make that mplayer recognize this codecs. I have
> mpleyer 0.9 rc4 in a Mandrake Linux system.

I get the "your machine is too slow" message often from MPlayer, but I
ignore it. The bottom line is whether the movie plays smoothly and how
much of the CPU time it uses in doing so. If the movie plays OK, ignore
any messages from MPlayer, espcecially if there is unused CPU time (you
can check by running a utility like "top."

You said you can see the movie "well," so you probably don't have a
problem. Just close the dialog (if MPlayer was started with the GUI) and
keep watching the movie.

Finally, don't apologize for your English; it's fine. I'm sure I
wouldn't be able to post as well en Español, and that's the only other
language I know.

Jonathan Rogers