[MPlayer-users] Problems with Xvid

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 25 21:14:05 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:08:08PM -0300, Guillermo Juan wrote:
> Hello, first of all, sorry me for my english. I`m from
> Argentina. My problem is this:
> I can see movies in divx perfect, with subtitles and
> everything. But now i have a movie with xvid codecs,
> and i can see it well. Whe the movie start, an advise
> appear saying to me that my cpu is too slow. But, when
> i try to see this movie with Xine or aviplay i see it
> well, but without subtitles.
> I install the Xvid codecs, but i don´t know how can i
> make that mplayer recognize this codecs. I have
> mpleyer 0.9 rc4 in a Mandrake Linux system.

You don't want to, since they're much slower. libavcodec decodes xvid
just fine, because it's the same thing as divx (just a different
program used to encode it), and both are actually just silly names for
mpeg4.

As far as the speed issue, it probably has nothing to do with being
xvid. Try -ni, -nocache, etc. like the message says. And if they don't
help, RTFM and send a proper bugreport so we know more facts;
otherwise it's hard to help!

Rich