[MPlayer-users] xv playback causes crash

j.a.l j.a.l at free.fr
Thu Apr 24 17:20:17 CEST 2003

Pierre-Thomas Mouly wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>my problem is that everytime when i try to play movies with xv mplayer
>>causes a whole system hang up.
>

> I have the same kind of problem.
> But my system is different :
>
> AMD athlon XP 1600
> 512Mb Ram
> EPOX 8HKA+
> GeForce 3 Ti 200 DVI
> Linux : Mandrake 9.1
> XFree : 4.3
> Mplayer : 0.90
>
> Some of my bios settings :
>   - Plug&play : disable
>   - ACPI : enable
>
> The crash occured using xv, after 30mn while playing a divx.
> Then the system hangs. (Even the Alt-Syst-* keys are not working)
>
> The same movie, using xine with xv, works.
>
> Hope this details will help,
> Regards,
> Pete

which xf86 drivers do you use ??? the default or one from nvidia ???.
perhaps mplayer use some bugged feature from the drivers. ( that xine
simply emulate. )

use the 2960 which is really stable ; get it from nvidia, they have a
section for linux driver ( allways use the src and compil it by yourself
). don't forget the kernel module too, ( and for newbie read the doc
because install could be tricky ; ask in a diff list... )