[MPlayer-users] command line parsing issue?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 15 15:46:40 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:35:30AM -0400, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first post to the list
> Hope you can understand my weird english
>
> Well, I'm used to encode DVD with the great mencoder
> but last night i fall into this issue
>
> the command below shows a warning about the crop area being
> out of the movie size:

Yes because you're trying to 'crop' a 640x??? movie to 720x362!!!

> mencoder original.avi -aspect 16:9 -vop
> crop=720:362:0:56,scale,pp=hb/vb/dr/al/lb -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -sws 2 -o reencoded.avi
>
> then it just sit there for a while and finally coredumps

This is not good, but your command line is bogus.

> well the question is why this string:
>
> mencoder original.avi -aspect 16:9 -vop
> scale,pp=hb/vb/dr/al/lb,crop=720:362:0:56 -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -sws 2 -o reencoded.avi
>
> does not show a warning and does the job as espected

Because you're cropping before scaling, like you should!

> if you see i have just changed the position of crop
> to the end of the -vop string, i was suspectin a
> command line parsing issue, is this the case? does
> mencoder interpret the 56,scale,pp=foo as 56.something?
> (some kind of char to int/float conversion after the '56,' ?

Nope, but if you really wanna check, unset your locale.

> the reason why i dont fall into this issue earlier was
> that i use to apply only scale filters on the first run
> of mencoder, then i rerun it the 'other' filters.(this give me time to
> return the rented original :-).

Using different filter chains in the 2 passes is very bad. It will
hurt quality a lot. Dump the whole vob with -dumpstream then do a
proper 2-pass encode if necessary.

> well i have a runing mencoder on the same terminal now, so
> the warning has gone (forgot to copy it) but you can easily
> reproduce the issue.

No, obviously not or it would have been fixed a long time ago.

Rich