[MPlayer-users] command line parsing issue?

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet rverdejo at udec.cl
Tue Apr 15 07:35:30 CEST 2003

Hi all, this is my first post to the list
Hope you can understand my weird english

Well, I'm used to encode DVD with the great mencoder
but last night i fall into this issue

the command below shows a warning about the crop area being
out of the movie size:

mencoder original.avi -aspect 16:9 -vop
crop=720:362:0:56,scale,pp=hb/vb/dr/al/lb -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -sws 2 -o reencoded.avi

then it just sit there for a while and finally coredumps

well the question is why this string:

mencoder original.avi -aspect 16:9 -vop
scale,pp=hb/vb/dr/al/lb,crop=720:362:0:56 -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -sws 2 -o reencoded.avi

does not show a warning and does the job as espected

if you see i have just changed the position of crop
to the end of the -vop string, i was suspectin a
command line parsing issue, is this the case? does
mencoder interpret the 56,scale,pp=foo as 56.something?
(some kind of char to int/float conversion after the '56,' ?

the reason why i dont fall into this issue earlier was
that i use to apply only scale filters on the first run
of mencoder, then i rerun it the 'other' filters.(this give me time to
return the rented original :-).

well i have a runing mencoder on the same terminal now, so
the warning has gone (forgot to copy it) but you can easily
reproduce the issue.

Hope this will not fall in the 'RTFM' section :)

Best Regards

   Reynaldo

http://webmail.udec.cl