[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.90rc4, radeon 9000, MC, IDCT

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Apr 2 15:26:42 CEST 2003

> > others mentioned that hardware mc/idct looks better for some reason (maybe
> >
> > they interpolate/filter something somehow), others said it's nonsense.
>
> That's definitely nonsense. MC and IDCT have to be implemented
> according to spec or you will get random image corruption in many
> movies. Most likely the drivers use some sort of filtering function in
> the hardware to display the image after performing the MC and IDCT...
> The same (and much better) effects can be accomplished with video
> filters in software.

Well, the ATI player software for Windows which of course uses all the nifty
features in the chip *does* produce a better picture, but I can't tell whether
it's due to the HWMC/iDCT or some other stuff like post processing or
filtering the chip does.

Guess I'm gonna make a screenshot with ATI/xine/mplayer if I find some time
and compare.

Dex