[MPlayer-users] dvd2divx Guide and Script - Perfect A-V sync so far!

Green, Shaun Shaun.Green at msfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 23 03:41:01 CEST 2002

Attached is a simple shell script and a short guide I wrote on the usage. I
hope this helps those of you still having desync problems; I've seen quite a
few problems on the email list.

For a couple of weeks now, I've struggled with A-V desync issues at VOB
change using Mencoder and Transcode programs. At first, I thought it was
impossible under Linux to achieve perfect sync on every movie, esp. at
23.976 fps, which is the correct frame rate for most movies (music videos
for instance are best done at 29.97 fps unless you have a good IVTC filter
like decomb).

Anyway, I've put a lot of time into testing this script, and so far have had
excellant results, with perfect A-V sync so far. The commented out lines
(near the bottom) show the movies I've done so far, and those are the exact
script lines I used.

I never could get Transcode to produce perfect A-V sync on most movies, and
found Mencoder to be a little faster overall. And Mencoder Lavc quality
definitely beat Transcode when I encoded the same scenes and put them
side-by-side (I carefully checked the scenes frame-by-frame next to each
other using AVIdemux).

If anyone can further automate this, please let me know! I've done all I
know how to do, and I'm sure there's room for improvement. I'm using MPlayer
0.9pre8, AVIdemux 0.9pre16, Red Hat 7.3, etc.

Enjoy,

Shaun