[MPlayer-users] Status of TOOLS/subrip.c ?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Wed Sep 18 22:39:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 02:05:33PM +0200, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:

> > As I wrote in my previous mail, the ifo which comes along with the
> > .vob is ignored by mplayer/mencoder and subrip.
> In the exemple you showed us you sure did not tell him to make use of
> it.

Sorry for the confusion, I've cut+copy the wrong command. Actually, I
_used_ the ifo switch.

> > This way I could check whether the pallette is the real problem
> It's even easier: just look if there is already a palette: directive
> in your .IDX file.  If not then this is surely your problem.

This directive is missing. And it seems that finally I come closer to
the root of the problem: In the tons of mencoder's output I have
overseen this error message:

  "Bad magic in IFO header"

This looks strange, because I have not modified the .ifo files in any
way. If I understand vobsub.c correctly, the .ifo file should be a
binary file which contains "DVDVIDEO-VTS" at the very start of the
file. In contrary, .ifo files produced by ifo_dump are ascii files
which start with:

  VTS top level
  -------------
  VTS Identifier: DVDVIDEO-VTS
  [ some stuff deleted... ]
  Color  0: 0xf00bar
  [ ... ]
  Color 15: 0x123456
  [ ... ]

So I have put those hex numbers into the palette-line, and finally xv
shows me the subtitles in the temporary files. Next problem is: the
characters are glued together because gocr seems not to distinguish
between black and grey. Seems that it is time for me to check out the
gocr patch you posted in this thread.

> But if you'd just give us all the info, like the full process you
> follow, then we could easily help you.  Else I'll soon give up on you:
> I'm getting fed up with this investigation stuff.

$ ifo_dump   $dev 1     >1.ifo
$ play_title $dev 1 1 1 >1.vob
$ mencoder 1.vob -oac copy -ovc copy -o /dev/null -sid 0 \
   -vobsuboutid en -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsubout foo -ifo 1.ifo

What would be the proper way to read the ifo if not ifo_dump?

Thanks for your patience!

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --