[MPlayer-users] /dev/dsp not closed?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Sep 4 22:44:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Then I used 'lsof /dev/dsp' and the process owning /dev/dsp was
> 'xscreensaver'. I'm using the stop_xscreensaver option with mplayer. Well,
> I think xscreensaver does not use /dev/dsp normally. So could be the case
> mplayer is not closing /dev/dsp when it starts screensaver?

it was discussed recently, when mplayer restarts xscreensaver it starts as a
child of mplayer, and somehow inherits its open files, including dsp.

actually we need a better way to stop/restart xscreensaver than the current
hack, but unfortunatelly teh xscreensaver author doesn't support any
acceptable method to control his mess. he wants the video players to run a
dedicated thread just to 'ping' the screensaver by executing a shell comamnd
every minute. we cannot accept this method and he doesn't accept others.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team