[MPlayer-users] working while dumping

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 3 21:18:01 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:27:19PM -0400, j.a.l wrote:
> just fix me : while dumping dvd on hdd, mplayer and mencoder do a data
> transfert ( am i right ??? ), that mean, instead of burning cd or
> ripping audio cd, there do not need real time access : i can code,
> compil... and do other such job. ok, ripping will be much longer, i will
> come back with a 250Mhz cpu like but i won't waste no more time.
no realtime or whatever other stuff is needed for dumping/encoding, so
feel free to do whatever you want while dumping/encoding.
hint: use nice to set your process to a lower priority, so it will not
interfere with things you want to do in the foreground, but will use up
"unused" cpu-power: nice -n 19 mencoder -whatever
see "man nice" for details or just watch it with "top"

> perhaps a tip to add into fac (?)
FAQ? hmm seems rather like linux-basics to me :)

regards
	wernfried