on (un-)supported data formats (WAS: Re: [MPlayer-users] Quicktime help)

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Mon Sep 2 14:14:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:01:55 +0200 Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

Hi again,

> btw as there is M$ mplayer for ppc/mac someone could look at it, mayeb
> it has some dlls with some vfw-compatible interface (i doubt that m$
> invented new api for their mac version)

I already thought of it ; WMP for MacOS X is downloadable here:
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediaplayer/WMPMAC/7.1.3/
MacOS/EN-US/WindowsMediaInstaller.hqx>

I wanted to download it, look in mplayer's source to see how win32 dll
interfacing is done and try to do the same for linux/ppc.
However I'm stuck by a really stupid problem (don't laugh please), I can't
unpack this stupid Stuffit .hqx archive (and got rid of any kind of MacOS
I had).
So if anyone could unpack this .hqx and send me (a link to) a good old
tar.gz, I probably will try to do something about it.

> > I agree however that distinguishing the different cases why codec A or
> > B isn't compiled in isn't easy.
>
> and is not the job of the codec layer imho
> maybe i should just remove that 'hint message' as it disturbs you...

I don't mind, personnaly.
--
Colin
panic("IRQ, you lose...");