[MPlayer-users] XVidModeExtension

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Wed Oct 23 19:15:02 CEST 2002

Am Dienstag, 22. Oktober 2002 21.39 schrieb Eduardo Trápani:
> The machine where I built mplayer has XF86VM support and
> everything works alright.  But every now and then I want to
> run mplayer over the network, to Xserver2.

That won't work. Every single X11-extension to speed up video playback
relies on the fact, that the playing program works locally on the
machine, where the movie is actually shown. Also, sending an
uncompressed video stream across the network is enough load to bring
your usual home installation to it's limits (or breakdown).

If you want to play a file across the network you may transfer it via
NFS or HTTP (if your network is fast enough, that is). If it's MPEG
movies you want to play, you may want to have a look at the VideoLAN
project:

http://www.videolan.org/

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \