[MPlayer-users] mplayer can't open/init audio device -> no sound

Zdenek Pizl z.p at linux-cd.cz
Tue Oct 22 16:20:15 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 14:10, Arpi wrote:

1.
> RTFM!!!  http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS

a)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/sound.html has four lines about arts. One is
describing native arts and the rest describes the SDL. The way of
terminating/disabling artsd is not applicable.

Using artsdsp mplayer -ao sdl ... ?? Hmm, i have the same result as with
-ao arts = no sound

b)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/faq.html#driver has been describing how to made
mplayer to use artsd (-ao arts). But i try it and i have problem that it
doesn't work.

c)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/#known_bugs has no arts information

Is there another part of documentation describing artsd benefits and issues ?

2.

a)
three semirelevant articles and many irrelevant ones can be found. Nothing is
applicable to our problem - that mplayer using -ao arts cannot connect artsd
(and artsd is definitively running !)

b)
I grep-ed english docs (grep -i arts *.html) - there is nothing interesting in
addition to above mentioned info.

Instead shouting with exclamation marks to me, you'd better improve
documentation, take lessons of politeness or simply be quiet! Because i'm not
interesting in bullshit, i am curious to some reasonable solution of my
problem.

And the last thing: In case you'll answer in such manner as you did, there
will never be a chance to find some good information in mplayer mailing list.

with regards
			z.p.

--
z.p.