[MPlayer-users] Re: vobsub => srt

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Oct 11 01:38:02 CEST 2002

On 10 Oct 2002, gabor at realtime.sk wrote:
> i've got a movie with vobsub subtitles... at least i think they are
> vobsub subtitles, becaue:
> 1. a have an .avi, a .sub and a .idx file
> 2. mplayer -vobsub my.sub my.avi plays the file with subtitles ok
>
> but i want to convert those subtitles into text-mode-subtitles.

[...]

> so is there a way to convert those vobsub subtitles into
> text-mode-subtitles?

I tried using the subrip program that comes with mplayer, as others have
suggested, and even tried an alternate OCR package. None of them worked
even tolerably well, though; the results were very poor.

I ended up using the Windows 'SubRip' program which took about five
minutes to convert two complete sets of subtitles into text, including
retaining the italic and bold formatting.

It would be nice if there were something under Unix which worked as well
but, in all my searching, I couldn't find anything. :/

     Daniel

--
No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't
increase the speed of light.