[MPlayer-users] VCD standards

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Fri Oct 4 23:19:02 CEST 2002

On Friday 04 October 2002 20:50, GD Lewis wrote:

> Even though other people have DVD players that state that they are
> capable of playing VCD and SVCD, they are unable to play my disks.

It could be that the player is unable to read the media. Not all DVD players
can read CD-Rs even though they play printed video cds (the kind you buy
_with_ the content) just fine. You might have better luck with CD-RWs.

Also some players like my philips need a firmware upgrade (or downgrade) to
play SVCDs. But that's not an advertised feature anyway so if the player says
svcd on it it really should be able to play it (which doesn't mean its
supposed to be able to read CD-R at all).