[MPlayer-users] Encoding quality advices

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Nov 28 22:38:19 CET 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:29:14 +0100
Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> > Shouldn't that be 1024 not 1000?
>
> No.

OK, I see now that lavc uses 1000 for the k in kbits/s.

> My aim is not to need any -aspect parameter at all.

Oh, OK. But am I right in thinking you could save some bandwidth if
you didn't care about that?

> No. The aim is to get the best quality with a fixed file size. Full
> DVD resolution on one CD sucks badly, it may even suck on two CDs
> (depending on the audio size).

I am thinking how to apply your advice to recording TV shows mainly, as
I don't have a DVD player. However, my experiments so far suggest you can
get nearly 100 minutes of letterboxed PAL (704x496) on a 700MB CDR at a
bitrate of 900 and vorbis q=0. I wouldn't say the quality sucks.

> No. You could write a patch for mplayer that would get the aspect
> ratio from the video stream's comments (like "ASPECTRATIO=123/456")
> but the OggDS filters don't support that, and one of my tools is to
> retain compatibility between the OggDS filters for Windows and
> mplayer (yes I know, Windows sucks and all that).

Would it break compatibility to do that? If it's in a comment wouldn't
OggDS ignore it and if there was no such comment mplayer would just not
prescale.

Martin