[MPlayer-users] Encoding quality advices

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Nov 28 21:00:03 CET 2002

Hi.

> >                 $videosize * 8
> > $videobitrate = --------------
> >                 $length * 1000
>
> Shouldn't that be 1024 not 1000?

No.

> AIUI PAL pixels are not square anyway. I find multiplying the pixel
> ratio (width/height) by 1.09 gives the right -aspect parameter for
> playback. Obviously you would need another modifier for 16:9 stuff.

My aim is not to need any -aspect parameter at all.

> Why would you scale at all unless you want a VCD or something? Isn't
> it better to just crop all the black (maintaining sizes divisible by 16)
> and encode that?

No. The aim is to get the best quality with a fixed file size. Full DVD
resolution on one CD sucks badly, it may even suck on two CDs
(depending on the audio size). There is a reason why DVDs contain so
much data...

> By the way, is it possible to save a playback aspect ratio in an ogg in
> a way that mplayer will use?

No. You could write a patch for mplayer that would get the aspect ratio
from the video stream's comments (like "ASPECTRATIO=123/456") but the
OggDS filters don't support that, and one of my tools is to retain
compatibility between the OggDS filters for Windows and mplayer (yes I
know, Windows sucks and all that).

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)