[MPlayer-users] mplayer compilation error

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Nov 26 23:06:03 CET 2002

David C. Diemer writes:
 :: Dean,
 ::
 :: 1. It was a mistype about gcc 3.4. I misread my information.

Ok.

 :: 2. To try something out, I uninstalled mplayer, downloaded the pre10
 :: RPMs (common, mplayer, gui, & fonts) and tried it out. It worked okay
 :: except that the video and the audio refused to sync right no matter
 :: what settings I tried. I uninstalled those and went back to the pre9
 :: and it worked just fine. Go figure. After removing pre9 again, I
 :: installed all the pre10 RPMS again(!). Then I decided to try the
 :: source RPM(!), tune, and compile from there. Voila!  All my video/sync
 :: problems went away.

Interesting.
What distribution did the .src.rpm come from?
What tuning did you do?
Was the .src.rpm for pre10?

 :: 3. As for flaming, what I meant was that I didn't want others to
 :: assume that I was an RPM or .tgz bigot and I didn't want grief for
 :: mixing the two!

I hate those kind of religious arguments.  I deal in facts.
RPM is just plain better!!! :-)

 :: So you may be asking yourself, "What the hell does that have to do
 :: with my problem?"  Well, the straight RPM installation worked -- badly
 :: -- but it worked. Have you tried just RPMs and seen how it worked? I
 :: assume you have and went on to customize like I did but it's worth
 :: asking.

No I have not tried to install a pre-built .rpm.
Since it came out of the Mandrake "contribs" directory, I did not
feel good about using the pre-compiled .rpm.  Also, because all the
Mandrake pre-compiled stuff is for i586 and I wanted to compile specifically
for a Athlon-mp.  And if there was any multithreaded stuff in Mplayer
I wanted to compile it on my SMP system.  Since you got good results
from .rpm from .src.rpm and bad (but runnable) results from .rpm,
I think I should stay on my path, no?

 :: Finally, what previous releases have you tried compiling?

None.  I'm a complete green-behind-the-ears newbie to Mplayer.
I've tried to read everything I could as per the author's rather
pointed, oft-repeated instructions, but so far they have not
helped me. I'm sure I'm missing something.  Or maybe, like
someone suggested, gcc 3.2 is buggy (vis-a-vis Mplayer) or
(GASP!!) there's a bug in the Mplayer code.

Still waiting for the wizards to chime in.  Should I go ahead
and submit a formal Bug Report?  Will that get someone's attention
or will I just get flamed.  (From the many past posts I've read,
trying to solve this problem, I gether that this is a low-tolerance
mailing list.  Lot's of people get flamed, called "fool", &c.)

Dean