[MPlayer-users] Good settings for encoding?

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Tue Nov 26 15:34:02 CET 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 01:15, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:36:22PM +0100, Acid Zebra wrote:
> > Great advice for non-animated movies....
> >
> > But has anyone got some recommendations for anime?
> > On kazaa I found some really amazing encodings of FLCL floating around.
> > Small file size, crisp encoding.... I want that too!
> >
> > I got shitloads of simpsons/southpark/futurama DVDs just begging to be
> > encoded,
> > but I can't seem to find the right settings...
>
> The only luck I've had with anime is using fairly high bitrates.
> Ususally this isn't a problem though, since you don't have to fit
> 100-130 minutes on a single cd. With tv series you can split them
> across more cds, and most anime movies are fairly short (70-90
> minutes).
>
> One idea you might try is using the sab, unsharp, and/or scale filters
> to blur the image a bit before encoding. The sharp black outlines
> waste a lot of bits. Also be aware that burning subtitles directly
> onto the movie is very dumb and wastes lots of bits encoding the text;
> you're much better to leave the subtitles as an external vobsub or srt
> file. Not to mention it's annoying to anyone who wants to fix mistakes
> in the subtitling or use subtitles in a different language.

As discussing of right encoding parameters and which codec to use, seems to be
very interesting to a lot of people (for me too) wouldn't it be nice to
collect such parameter-profiles for different sources ?
Since find correct parameters for several kind of sources isn't trivial it
could help a lot of people.
If these advices could be in the mplayer-html-doc I think would be the best
solution. Would love to see this.

Beside that I have such a problem too, I tried to do a quick shot with
mencoder on Wizard of Oz (to show the quality of lavc dump me for choosing
such a source), that is colorated material , with I guess a lot of noise in
it. (mencoder -dvd 5 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq -o
test.avi, as I said a quick shot). The result was horrible, after some time
more blockiness than picture and really slow encoding.

Thanks

Steffen