[MPlayer-users] Good settings for encoding?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 26 14:18:56 CET 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:36:22PM +0100, Acid Zebra wrote:
> Great advice for non-animated movies....
>
> But has anyone got some recommendations for anime?
> On kazaa I found some really amazing encodings of FLCL floating around.
> Small file size, crisp encoding.... I want that too!
>
> I got shitloads of simpsons/southpark/futurama DVDs just begging to be
> encoded,
> but I can't seem to find the right settings...

The only luck I've had with anime is using fairly high bitrates.
Ususally this isn't a problem though, since you don't have to fit
100-130 minutes on a single cd. With tv series you can split them
across more cds, and most anime movies are fairly short (70-90
minutes).

One idea you might try is using the sab, unsharp, and/or scale filters
to blur the image a bit before encoding. The sharp black outlines
waste a lot of bits. Also be aware that burning subtitles directly
onto the movie is very dumb and wastes lots of bits encoding the text;
you're much better to leave the subtitles as an external vobsub or srt
file. Not to mention it's annoying to anyone who wants to fix mistakes
in the subtitling or use subtitles in a different language.

Rich