[MPlayer-users] Volume control in 6channel mode?

Draco draco_d at gmx.net
Tue Nov 19 14:55:03 CET 2002

Hi there,

I always use mplayer with the "-channels 6" option, because I start it with
another App which doesn't know, if there are 6channels in the file...
Normally that's no problem, since my Amplifier can be switched from 6 to 2
channel mode, ignoring the other 4 channels....

I noticed that the Volume Control in MPlayer doens't work with 6channel mode,
which again is no problem for most movies...
BUT: A few movies/musicvideos are encoded very loud, using up to 0db. If I
play one of them with "-channels 6", the codec clips all the time, and thus I
get a really terrible sound. The only volume control of my KDE Mixer which
actually does affect the volume is the "Master", and if I move that slider
down, the sound stays terrible, but gets more quiet...

In 2 Channel mode, playback is fine...
I found a option in Xine which helps there with that problem
("codec.a52_level:80"), but I can't find one in MPlayer, which I'd like to
use instead of Xine, cause it's the much better program;)

Thanks for any help!
Draco