[MPlayer-users] Feature Request

Glyn glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Thu May 30 04:12:10 CEST 2002

Sycotic Smith wrote:
> Here are my thoughts, and as always, your mileage may vary.
> 1. Script/feature to create low-end AVI for those out there with a 386sx ;)
>
> 2. S/F to create basic AVI using medium settings, say for a PII-500 system.
>
> 3. S/F to create HQ AVI using almost top notch options.
>
> 4. S/F to create _VERY_ HQ AVI, for 2GHz system or such.
>
> Example:
> mencoder -highest input.avi -o vhq-output.avi
>   or
> vhqscript input.avi output.avi
>
> Ideas?

Maybe a single switch which can take different numerical values would be
a better way of considering the compromise between quality and speed
(like in gzip):

mencoder -$n input.avi -o output.avi

where n=1 is for stuff you can play on a 386, n=9 for 2GHz.  Of course,
this will date quickly as 2GHz becomes less expensive and people start
using even faster CPUs, so another alternative is
  -1 for 386
  -9 for lossless
assuming that the latest CPUs can cope with DVD quality without needing
to decrease the bitrate, so even faster CPUs will be redundant.  Or
maybe even an option that takes -MHz, though the appropriate parameters
for that would probably vary significantly between architectures.

> Maybe using LAVC or DIVX, could be an option to select which.

What's wrong with the exisitng -ovc lavc  vs  -ovc divx4 ?

Glyn

glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk

When I talk, you will talk.
When you talk, it will fall back into place.