[MPlayer-users] mencoder input format?

Thomas Klausner wiz at danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 28 01:34:01 CEST 2002

Hi!

I'm using fxtv-1.03 on NetBSD, a TV application which uses bktr(4)
(incompatible to v4l).

It comes with a wrapper script that uses mpeg_encode and mpegaudio to
encode captured data to mpgs, and then mplex to multiplex the parts
together.

I thought it would be nice to make it possible to use mencoder
instead.

AFAIK, fxtv writes data as RGB data (in PPM format) or as YUV12 data
directly into the stdin of mpeg_encode, and similar with wav data to
mpegaudio (after streaming the whole data to a temporary hard disk
file).

I tried to understand the mplayer documentation in this regard, but
didn't find specific information for this: Is it possible to use
mencoder to transform this data to mpgs, and if so, how? Or what kind
of raw input format would it need?

And related: Is there a audio/video codec that's fast enough to
losslessly encode 768x576x3x25+44.1kHz in realtime on an Athlon XP
1500?  Basically, I want to avoid having to write ~35MB/s (~2GB/min)
to the hard disk and convert it later, but instead convert immediately
it to some not-so-good compressed format in realtime and compress
better later. The sound part is not so important, so a good
video-compressor would suffice for starters.

But I guess I'm dreaming, and there isn't one.

Thanks in advance for all hints,
 Thomas

Thomas Klausner - wiz at danbala.tuwien.ac.at
When all other means of communication fail, try words.