[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Mon May 20 08:19:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

> probably mencoder is the test program which triggers this hw bug.
If only I could have an idea of where it is...

> if you have win98, you could try the 'cpu stability test', it's a small
No windoze around ... At most DOS...
> memetst86 is usefull to test memory modules.
memtest is nothing compared to RamStressTest... Many modules that are ok
for mt fail badly with RST...

> kernel compile is nothing compared to these, in today cpus.
> 95% of kernel compile time is waiting for disk i/o :(
If you don't use make -J 3 and hdparm -u1 :-)
With these I see the CPU use nearly always at 100%... Top just sometimes
reports 4-5% idle.

> maybe you should try other encoders, transcode etc, or under windows nandub.
> i doubt that they will be rock stable if mencoder cause hangup 3 times a day.
I let transcode run for HOURS without a glitch. CPU reached 73/74C and
didn't lock anything.
Then (once CPU returned to the usual 49C, I run mencoder. It locked
hard. CPU was at about 65/66C.
Then I rebooted, runlevel 3. First mencoder run was Ok. Second locked.
CPU was still quite cold.

> > 2) try encoding on another machine, just to know if it's due to the
> > source file
> good idea
i'll do it ASAP (have to reinstall a fresh system).

> anyway it's really offtopic.
> you should subscribe to soem hardware related lists.
Don't know which one. At least, could you tell me where to look for
something that mencoder does and transcode not ?

BYtE,
 Diego.