[MPlayer-users] mencoder often COMPLETLY locks up my machine

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat May 18 16:54:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I too was ready to blame HW, but all the tests done seem to exclude
> it...

probably mencoder is the test program which triggers this hw bug.
if you have win98, you could try the 'cpu stability test', it's a small
proggy doing various math stuff (solving known problems, doing millions
of square root calc etc) in threads. we're using it at my company to stress
test windows workstations. also, memetst86 is usefull to test memory modules.
bxburn (ro burn-bx ?) is usefull for intel chipset stress test.
for windows, 3dmark 2000 is also good, runing its benchmark test, only teh
cpu intensive one sin very low video res.

kernel compile is nothing compared to these, in today cpus.
95% of kernel compile time is waiting for disk i/o :(
anyway i doubt that gcc/make does use mmx/sse, so it won't stress test your
cpu's simd part.

maybe you should try other encoders, transcode etc, or under windows nandub.
i doubt that they will be rock stable if mencoder cause hangup 3 times a day.

> 1) using mencoder in a telnet session, so at least I could save some
> output...
useless

> 2) try encoding on another machine, just to know if it's due to the
> source file
good idea

anyway it's really offtopic.
you should subscribe to soem hardware related lists.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team