[MPlayer-users] Bad news for RedHat 7.3 users

Rob Wallace rwallace at videotron.ca
Sun May 19 00:52:02 CEST 2002

Actually, I don't think the RedHat compiler is at fault here. RedHat adds a
lot of patches to their kernel and I believe this is the source of the problem.
Keep in mind I used a clean 2.4.18 kernel from ftp.kernel.org - I only used
the kernel .config file from RedHat.

I would not recommend using the kernel sources from RedHat to solve the
performance problem in mplayer. Although I might try it out of curiosity.

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 04:08, Rob Wallace wrote:
>/ [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]/
>/ For those RedHat users who don't know how to build a kernel I guess your /
>/ 5hit out of luck!/
>/ /
Probably not. Just use the kernel SRPM and rebuild it with gcc
2.95.3.(kgcc if it exists) You *COULD* just build it with gcc 3.1 though
and that should be just fine as well.

More than likely, the compiler used or the system it was used on was
semi-non-standard compared to most people. Though it could be related to
the pentium bug as well if you're on AMD.