[MPlayer-users] DVD playback

Nix N. Nix nix at go-nix.ca
Sat May 18 22:07:02 CEST 2002

Command line is:

mplayer -gui -skin plastic -vo x11 -aid 128 dvd://1

This causes the DVD to play using about 80% CPU (user).  Then, after
about 5-10 seconds it goes from 80% user / 0% system to 80% user / 20%
system and the audio starts going more and more out of sync.  If I hit
the left arrow (go back a couple of seconds), the 20% system disappears
and it plays fine for another 5-10 seconds.  Then it starts over.  The
only way to fix it is -framedrop which makes it kind of OK, with the
occasional skip during a panning shot.  I'm wondering if you guys have
any idea how I can stop it from doing this dumb CPU% thing when I run
without -framedrop.  I have tried turning DMA on for the DVD drive, but
it won't allow me (even as root).  Is this as good as DVD playback is
going to get on this laptop ?

Red Hat 7.2
kernel 2.4.18
glibc 2.2.4
XFree86 4.1.0
gcc version 2.95.4 20010319 (prerelease/franzo/20011204)
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)
GNU assembler 2.11.90.0.8

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 647.197
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1291.05

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x
(rev 64)

Video driver is whatever X has for it.

Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio
Accelerator (rev 10)