[MPlayer-users] skins license

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat May 18 16:46:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > imho yes
> imho no.
>
> > at least it was made for us, so it's supposed to have the same license as
> > mplayer
> fonts are also supposed to be made for mplayer, they are based on .ttf
> from M$
yes

> ( that's what I recall, maybe i'm wrong, this would solve some
> problems ), and those are free to use, but not to distribute.

yes. but we used the .ttf, do not distribute it.
if you use that .ttf to compose a fax message, and then send it to someone,
you do the same - distribute the bitmap created using that .ttf
but i doubt you break teh law then... or it's very funny :)

> > imho GPL for skin is rotfl.
> it is, but what better do we have?
> I'm not a lawyer, and for don't want to become one, just saying 'its gpl'
> is simple and easy.
>
> > gpl says you have to publish patches and source.
> > have you ever seen patch for a gimp or photoshop "source" file (that stuff
> > with layers vectors text etc)?
> That's like arguing about 'source' for modern RAD applications.
RAD???

> > anyway we don't have the "source" for the skins, none of them
>  Hmm, khuh, the *.pngs are the source, and 'compiled' 'target' are
> uncompressed bitmaps. kheh.
imho not
imho the source is the gimp/photoshop file, containing source images,
layers, text etc which are compiled using alphamaps brushes etc to a single
bitmap, saved to the png file.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team