[MPlayer-users] My experience with Maxtor 160GB, LVM, XFS

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Thu May 9 15:32:08 CEST 2002

Stephen Davies wrote:

> Not sure what you application is, but capturing uncompressed is pretty
> radical.  Real time capture in various formats like mpeg1 uses no more
> than 25% of an Athlon900.  NVrec captures in a jpeg-style format which is
> much lighter still on the cpu.
Keep in mind that it's a fileserver, too...
I have to acquire from VHS (A+V) and save to AVI (or MPEG). Possibly
recycling as much HW as possible, like an old AMD K6-233... If it can
compress the stream so that it fits in the 100Mbit network (I'll
probably use a dedicated channel) then it's OK. If it can save to local
IDE swRAID0 disks it's even better. I liked the idea of uncompressed
acquisition because it allows a slow recompression with less quality
loss.

What I couldn't yet understand is if mencoder can acquire (and if it
can, which options should I use? - I admit I haven't yet read TFM for
this) a+v from the bt848 and the sb, keepyng them in sync...

> > Is there a good video editing app for Linux ? Broadcast2000 worked only
> > for MPGs (and I couldn't ever understand how to use it :-((( ).
> Don't know of one, and do agree about Broadcast2000...
Sigh :-(

Uhm... mplayer/mencoder yet have a lot of the needed functionality... A
video editing app should be able to:
- dump streams (for unedited sequences)
- dump single frames (e.g. for crossfading)
- concatenate single frames to get a stream
- concatenate streams
Any effect from a stream to another is quite simple (A=stream1,
x=effect, B=stream2):
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
         xxxx
       BBBBBBBBBBBBB
Results in
AAAAAAAAAxxxxBBBBBBB
simply:
1) dump stream A till the last keyframe (k1) before x in outfile
2) dump stream A to single frames from k1 to the last X
3) dump stream B to single frames from first x to first keyframe (k2)
afer last x
4) apply effect to the interested frames
5) concatenate the frames from step 4 to outfile
6) dump stream B from k2 to the next effect (or the end) to outfile

If mplayer could dump single frames (w/ audio) and mencoder could merge
streams, then all the stuf that's missing is a frontend (that haven't to
support all the stuff gmplayer have...). It's a tickling project... If
only I hadn't to work on other 4 :-(((

BYtE,
 Diego.