[MPlayer-users] unicode subtitles

Georgi Georgiev chutz at chubaka.homeip.net
Thu May 2 04:28:02 CEST 2002

Just a little something I forgot to mention in the last message.

Since the TOOLS/subfont-c/encodings/charmap2enc script only supports characters encoded in 1 or 2 bytes, how does on create a UTF8 font for example?

Anyway, since mplayer itself doesn't support characters encoded in more than 2 bytes (unless it's utf8?) I would suggest extreme precaution when creating a custom encoding table. Just make sure that all characters are encoded in 2 bytes. It took me a long time to figure why my euc-jp encoding didn't work (I figured since euc-kr works and both start with euc they are probably encoded similarly and hence - more compatible). It turned out that euc-jp contains 3-byte characters, so I had to resort to shift-jis, which is 1 and 2-byte chars only, and BTW more popular, but for some reason my terminal doesn't support it.

--
Chutz <chutz at chubaka.homeip.net>