[MPlayer-users] Compile error

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Mar 23 00:08:02 CET 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:27:01 -0700 (MST)
Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> wrote:

> 	Well, if you say so, okay. I suppose I could port the vidix stuff
> to PPC, but there's still one major issue: I really don't have a clear
> idea what vidix is supposed to do. So I just read through
> DOCS/tech/vidix.txt again. I gather it's meant to be a common method of
> accessing graphics directly, otherwise known as direct graphics access or
> DGA. But why does it exist? The doc mentions that other interfaces like
> X11 of v4l can do it but can't do it well. Is this all about speed? Is
> that what we're after here?

It's supposed to be a generic way to handle video output on various
operating systems (at least unices and windows) like dga, but
with support for some special features like backend scaler
(scaling in hardwar).
Now, vidix is split into two parts: vidix itself and libdha
(direct hardware access). All you need for porting vidix to
a new OS/arch is to port libdha. I guess most times it's
just the correct inclusion of headerfiles, though never
did it myself.

> 	I just don't know what I'm supposed to write in order to "port"
> this. Thanks...

It's only libdha, that handles the hardware access.
Nick wrote a lot on -dev-eng about it.

		Attila Kinali
--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.