[MPlayer-users] subtitles in mencoder

Frederick Grim hal9000 at nyc.rr.com
Wed Mar 13 00:01:02 CET 2002

Okay let me start by saying that mplayer is the bomb...However the documentation
on the use of -sid is not.  I can't put subtitles in encoded files with the command
mencoder -dvd 1 -chapter 2 -sid 0 -o whatever.avi
However the docs say:
"See, you can use -sid to rip a DVD with subtitles"
and the faq says:
"Q: I can't encode subtitles into my avi
A: You are not using the -sid option correctly"
so I go to the man pages to figure out how to use -sid and read:
" -sid <id>
              Turns on DVD subtitle displaying. Also, you MUST specify a  number  which  corre?
              sponds  to  a  DVD subtitle language (0-31). For the list of available subtitles,
              use with the -v switch and look at the output.
"
and i type
mplayer -v and get no -sid and get no instructions on using -sid.  Sid remains a deep mystery to me.
Someone, for the love of christ, tell me about sid so I can get subtitles in my .avi's