[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Wed Jun 26 17:23:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 04:58:37PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> we need volunteers to test it and create unicode fonts usable in
> every country...  sorry, i don't have time to do this thing.
Hey, what's the problem, man? :-)

We (well, most of us) have MS Typography TTFs that ARE unicoded (and
some contain gliphs for many languages, european, far and middle east,
perhaps even some africaan languages). (Those who hate MS can use URW
TTFs but they are much worse in quality ;-)).

We have subfont-c that /should/ correctly process these fonts to convert
them to MPlayer-compatible fonts. Hopefully it can deal w/ two bytes
fonts as good as it does w/ single byte (haven't checked this yet, X
font renderer does this well)

That's it... The more important thing is to handle unicoded strings inside
of MPlayer. Probably most unicode subtitles will be stored in UTF8 (due to
its "C string" compatibility) so MPlayer should either deal w/ UTF8,
or translate to iso10646-1 (UCS-2) internally. See my previous letter for
pros and cons of both methods.

P.S. Arpi, I have a patch (against 0.90pre5 but can update it to current
CVS) for run-time and config file-configurable Win32 codecs paths. Could
I post it here, I'm too lazy to subscribe to mplayer-devs:-)