[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jun 26 16:59:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > P.S. But honestly I donna why we should prefer koi8-r to any other
> > cyrillic encoding. Its major advantage over all others stayed in
> > those dark ages of 7bit SMTP MTAs, and no much reason to keep it
> > alive nowadays. BTW CP1251 seems to be the most complete encoding w/
>
> Cp1251 is Windows encoding. Making it default in Unix world is
> nonsence. That was Microsoft, who made Cp866, then Cp2151 when there
> was koi8-r available. Alphabetic letter order is not the case, since
> more and more software are using Unicode internall.

yes... we should have unicode fonts.

> > all those Ukrainian, Belorussian and other [west-slavic] cyrillic
> > symbols. It even has proper Number sign and double-quotes:-)
> >
> > Topic: Arpi, how do you think, is MPlayer subtitle handling code
> > UTF8-clean?
>
> Probably mplayer should use unicode fonts and have a commandline switch
> telling about subtitles encoding. A'rpi?

yes, it's available afaik, at least when mplayer is compiled with iconv
support. you can use -subcp to tell mplayer the sub encoding.

anyway it's not my code, i've never gone in details of codepages,
but there were several patches and commites for that...

we need volunteers to test it and create unicode fonts usable in
every country...  sorry, i don't have time to do this thing.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team