[MPlayer-users] xine and sorenson

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jun 25 17:29:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Recently, three days ago, I have seen, in Italy, Richard Stallman
> speaking of closed standard (word documents, but can be enlarged to all
> other closed formats).

that man don't know any realtity
he imagines a world with no money and everything fere & open

> Briefly  he said : you must not use closed format files.

ha-ha
== 'eat shit, it's free & open, do NOT eat the closed-source non-free food'

Unfortunatelly we are NOT in the position to decide what formats to be used.
You can either watch closedsource codecs or not watch it at all.

> OK, I do, or at least I'll try, I hope all you do the same, so I think
> the best thing in mplayer is mencoder, that can be used to convert from
> closed format to open ones, then  mplayer becomes usefull. :)

With big quality loss - but why is it better then?

The goal of MPlayer is to make video playback possible on linux - whatever
format and codecs it uses. If you're ok only with open codecs, why don't you
use Xanim or Xmovie ? No, you are here, here, because you have to.

We do teh same every time, whenevver you get a divx file, a msword doc, a
pdf spec, a gif image or mp3...  you can't tell your boss to use only TeX,
and PNG, and Ogg...

Even if you are the boss, you can't tell your customers that use these free
formats instead their natural but closed formats.

It's only possible in RMS's ideal  - but nonexistant - world, where GPL is
something good. But we're living in this f**** world, where GPL has teh goal
to protect us from the companies, but really it "protects" us from using
their products togethwer with our GPL code, so we have to re-invent and
re-write everything or _we_ break the law.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team