[MPlayer-users] Re: xine and sorenson

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Tue Jun 25 17:07:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 08:56:37AM +0100, Samuel Liddicott wrote:

> may help to do this from the other side; if the closed-source codecs offer
> only cost to the publisher.

It's a good point. I was very surprised yesterday when I installed
a Windows game, "Star Trek Away Team". I noticed files vorbis.dll,
vorbisfile.dll and ogg.dll. (There's also a copy of the GPL, which may
be a mistake as the libraries aren't GPL). Anyway, it looks like they
are using Vorbis sound in the game. And why not, it's free after all, no
royalties to anyone. I'd guess the somewhat struggling PC game industry
might jump at the chance of free video codecs too.