[MPlayer-users] Color crash after 10 min. with -vo vesa

Patrick A . Kirchner kirchner at perdignus.com
Thu Jun 20 19:38:02 CEST 2002

Hello,

I accidentally posted this question to the Matrox user's
group.  Sorry for the mistake.

I have the latest version of MPlayer (0.90pre5) installed
on a Linux RH 7.2 (kernel 2.4.18) Toshiba Libretto laptop
with a Neo Magic video card.

When I play DivX 5 encoded avi's they look fantastic using
the vesa vo output driver.  But after exactly ten minutes
of playing the movie, the colors go crazy.  All the colors
go bad and it looks horrible, but still plays.  If I stop
the movie and restart ten minutes into it, it looks great
again, but then after another 10 minutes the colors go
crazy again.

Any ideas?

I like the vesa output is that it uses my entire LCD screen
to show a 320x240 sized movie, whereas in X Windows, the
same movie shown using the -fs switch only plays in a tiny
window.  I don't have the color problem in X windows even
after 10 minutes.

My two questions are:

1.  Can I fix the vesa color distortion problem somehow?

2.  Is there a way to fit a movie to the whole screen using
     -vo -x11 ?

Thanks much for everyone's work on this great program and for
any assistance you may offer.

Patrick.