[MPlayer-users] Attitude Anyone?

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Thu Jun 13 19:25:01 CEST 2002

<random thoughts>
i don't want to pick a fight here, at least because these were written
by the project owner/hoss/whatever_is_his_title :-), so people can
interpret it as the official opinion of mplayer-users/devels/whatever..

- i agree that xine is much 'easier' to set up and use for a
not-advanced-linux-user... you install the rpm files ( btw. mplayer
now has them too) click on xine and it works...

- i think the problem is that people have different opinions about what
should they learn and what not.... and windows makes people a lot
lazyer.. if you want to use mplayer, you MUST read all the documentation
( html + manpages ) before posting here...

- but even with that, newbies simply don't know where they made the
errors... they simply don't know  if the problem is a linux-config
problem, or something else... there is nothing anyone could do about that...

- but i don't think it's a good idea to drop those people, and make them
get used to xine .... i know there aren't any business issues or market
share, so for the developers it's not so important to have users..

- so maybe it would be for the developers not to answer the really
'stupid' questions... i, and i hope/think many of the mplayer users try
to answer the questions we can answer... so maybe mplayer developers
should wait a day or 2 before answering those really stupid ones... or
ignore them..

- maybe it's not important what i'm writing here.. i just wanted to say
that people, calm down, isn't it the best when everyone is happy?
   and i'm sure every developer becomes at least a bit happy when they
see that mplayer is still the most popular software at freshmeat. and
that popularity is made mostly of users.

-i think my mail is a perfect example of a newbie-mail :-)))
it didn't have any constructive ideas, and it criticizes everything :-)))))

</random thoughts>

gabor