[MPlayer-users] GUI unfunctional during playback

Jarno Elonen elonen at iki.fi
Sun Jun 2 01:05:02 CEST 2002

> The GUI of 0.90pre4 - buttons, slider, everything - become totally
> unresponsive *during playback* on my computer (Debian sid, i686, kde3). I
> can't even stop the player by pressing stop-button but have to press ESC
> (or kill the process).

I did some digging into sources and testing.

It turned out that the relevant event handlers (e.g. mplMainMouseHandle() and
mplEventHandling()) are just never polled during the playback. If I click
around the GUI during playback and then press 's' (stop), the gui code
handles all the buffered events at once.

Looks to me like this would be caused by some missing event handler call
(mp_input_get_cmd() or something similar) somewhere in the decode loop. I
tried a few things, but someone with better understanding on the structure of
the program could probably fix this a whole lot easier & safer..

- Jarno

Ps. mplayer.c could *really* use some cleaning up and refactoring with its
1300+ lines, IMHO.. Removing obsoleted & #defined out code blocks, splitting
the code into new files (decodeloop.c, for example) and functions, maybe
moving the "inited_flags&=INITED_INPUT" type of checks to their respective
modules (and perhaps splitting the inited_flags to static BOOLs in them)
etc.. Debugging would become much easier.