[MPlayer-users] mencoder creating distorted video with -ovc copy

Julian J.M. bandit at telecable.es
Sat Jun 1 20:51:02 CEST 2002

El vie, 31-05-2002 a las 00:06, ugly escribió:
> hi,
>
> I created an avi with mencoder like so:
>
>  mencoder -dvd 1 -lameopts br=192:cbr -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2000:vhq:keyint=250:vpass=1 -o title.avi
>  mencoder -dvd 1 -lameopts br=192:cbr -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2000:vhq:keyint=250:vpass=2 -o title.avi
>
> then I tried to split it with -ovc / -oac copy at specified times:
>
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss 0:50:00 -o title2.avi title.avi
>
> 	However, the file generated by the above command has distorted video (audio is fine) for the first couple of seconds, then the video restores to normal.  Video looks blocky in the first few seconds.  NOTE:  The original file does _not_ have that problem, it's purely in the copied file using the -ss switch.

Hi,
	What you are reporting isn't probably a bug. It's more of a feature
lack. ;)

	The problem is that the video doesn't start on a keyframe, so that's
why you see 2 seconds of garbage, until a keyframe arrives :)
	Until there is a switch like --skip-till-keyframe or something like
that, you can try increasing in small steps the -ss parameter.

	Greetings.
		Julian.