[MPlayer-users] Playing from a DVD image

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat Jul 27 20:20:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:48:51 +0200
Thilo Schulz <arny at ats.s.bawue.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 27. Juli 2002 19:44 schrieb Haas Wernfried:
> > does that actually work?
> > iirc i once tried cat /dev/dvd > image and got quite some errors with
> > dvds that had CSS on them. so i am wondering if this actually works with
> > dd. i just can't try it myself because i don't have any DVDs lying around
> > right now.
>
> The reason for this is, as i guess, that the libmpdvdkit in mplayer needs
> actually a dvd decive to check with the descrambling keys, (i tried to let
> mplayer use a loop back device by having the dd image bound to /dev/loop0)
> but strace only returns following:
>
> ioctl(6, 0x5392, 0xbfffe5f4) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> ioctl(6, 0x5392, 0xbfffe5f4) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> ioctl(6, 0x5392, 0xbfffe5f4) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
>
> while being apparently trapped in an infinite loop .. well, so i remembered
> ogle uses libdvdread, and mplayer can be compiled to use these libraries as
> well ... and voilà, it works directly with the raw file by starting mplayer
> like this:
>
> mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device ./rawimage
>
> - Thilo Schulz

Yes and it worked earlier.... I don't know which version exactly was the
last one to really work like this but it was not long ago. I don't know wheter
libmpdvdkit was changed or introduced when it stopped working but anyway,
it works without.

I think its a very nice feature and a very nice way to do it like this.
It even does not require any "ripping" tool.
It copies the css "enhanced" video and then css gets cracked when you
try to play it. Maybe css can be upgraded to do so, too?

Clemens Wächter