[MPlayer-users] converting to submp subtiles

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Jul 21 23:34:07 CEST 2002

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 11:14:07PM -0400, j.a.l wrote:
> - I've no problems for getting specific subtiles or audio tracks for all
> languages, in separated files / chapter, i want, using mencoder. Now i
> have a subtitles.vob file, with all languages, play fine, but how can i
> convert then into native mplayer subtitle ??? using -dumpmpsub ???, so
> what's the file needed by -sub ??? ( get nothing while ripping directly
> from dvd "mplayer -dvd x -chapter y-z -slang w -dumpsub" , or with -sid,
> or -dumpmpsub.... )
>
> - could stay with vob subtile ( in fact this make my coding easier ) but
>    guess there's no more portability...

DVD and vobsub subtitles are images, whereas mpsub and all the
subtitles used with -sub are text-based subtitles. Unless you want to
convert to text by hand or try to use some OCR software, you'll have
to be happy with ripping your DVD subs in vobsub format... Get latest
CVS and look for -vobsubout in the man page.

Rich