[MPlayer-users] mplayer on Zaurus

james james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Sat Jul 20 04:54:02 CEST 2002

On Friday 19 July 2002 20:45, you wrote:

> On Friday 19 July 2002 03:55 pm, james wrote:
> > I just got a zaurus (arm-linux) :) , and mplayer compiles and runs
> > (sometimes working sometimes not)
> > (plays (when it works) better than the built-in media player)
>
> So this is possible then?  Awesome!  Could you mail me the details on how
> you went about compiling this for the Z?  I am really interrested in
> getting it to work, esp since the default media player really blows.
>
> Thanks!

Installed the cross compiling tools from the cross-compiling howto (search
for zaurus faq to find them) then played around with configure. then make and
make install, then sent it to the zaurus.

The samples I had either didn't play or if they did, it was with -nosound. It
took me several days playing with it to get something working decently.

I didn't record which one actually compiled it, but looking in my
.bash_history I THINK  this i it (but I am not sure, I have about 20
./configures similar to this)
./configure --cc=/opt/Embedix/tools/bin/arm-linux-gcc --disable-mencoder
--disable-vorbis --disable-mmx --disable-mmx2 --disable-sse --disable-win32
--disable-vcd --disable-mpdvdkit --disable-tv --target=arm-linux

I suggest you get to know -aop  and -vop quite well to make it work. aka
Download the docs to your zaurus, and/or have another computer to be looking
at them.

It can't play things with mp3 audio well (visual is much better than the
built-in player, BUT it only works with -nosound) I think this is due to it
possibly having to emulate floating point, but I am not sure. because I know
it shouldn't take as long as it does.

If you want the binary I have been playing with (static) email me directly. I
am almost certain it will be crash-prone and you will get frustrated, but I
can send it to you if you want to help me try to make it work.

James L

other things:
player crashes on quit in uninit_ao cause yet undetermined. (even after
playing a clip fine)