[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] ASF patenting ?

gabor farkas gabor at realtime.sk
Tue Jul 16 01:23:02 CEST 2002

ok, so what to do now?

i think it should be an important thing to make mplayer legal...

so maybe it would be a good idea to first find all the vulnerable points
( like asf, wma, win-dll decoding etc ), and then try to create a
version without those things etc...

or can we assume that all the legal problems are only about the win32
codecs? so if someone doesn't use win32-codecs, then he is using a
completely legal product?

for me i don't think asf support is worth dying, you can always use wine
+ virtualdub +things_from_windows, of course using wine is discutable
too but it's not ou battle to fight:-)

as i see first we should find a way to separate dhe 'dangerous' sources
from the 'safe' ones... to be able to create a safe-version...

bye,
gabor

( i just remembered that rm support has probably the same problems as
asf-support....but i wan t to watch my rm's in mplayer ! :-)))