[MPlayer-users] Bad quality ("horizontal lines on movement") an mpeg2->divx

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Jul 14 23:15:02 CEST 2002

Steven Adeff wrote:
> Ahh, so if i don't put the parameter, what does it choose as default?

 From the manual:
   vbitrate=<value> specify bitrate in
                kbit <4-16000> or
                bit  <16001-24000000>
                (warning: 1kbit = 1000 bits)
                default = 800k

> there anyway to capture the suggested vbitrate from the 1st pass of a
> 3pass encode? that way I could have a script that you tell it the
> filename and cdlength and it will automatically use the value that the
> 1st pass suggests?

As far as I know, you need to parse the mencoder output. I could tell
you a way to do that, but I don't know enough about scripting to write
a nice, clean method. Perhaps someone else here can help you out with
that.

Something you should read, besides the mplayer man page and docs :>)
is this bash scripting guide:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

> also, is there a way to get mencoder to not display the info about the
> files its encoding and just show the progress section?

There's the -quiet option, but I remember some recent discussion about
that not having much effect.