[MPlayer-users] Is it possible to change video bitrate for MPEG2 ?

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Mon Jul 8 16:32:01 CEST 2002

On Monday 08 July 2002 10:09, DEBERT Jean-Louis wrote:

> So my question is: is there any way to change the video bitrate
> (to, say, around 5 Mbit/s) so that it can fit on a normal CD-R
> (650 or 700MB) while still being playable on a normal standalone
> DVD player ??? If so, is it possible with Mencoder, and how ?

Quick answer: no.
And DVDs are _very_ variable bitrate (1-9.8mbps) anyway so "5mbps" doesn't
really say anything.

> If I want it to be playable on a standalone DVD player, I guess
> that:
> 1. I must keep the directory structure
> 2. I should edit the .ifo  (is there any linux tool to do this ?)
> 3. (maybe) I should burn the CD in UDF format (or in dual ISO/UDF)

It probably won't play even if you do these things; it depends alot on your
player and I doubt there are any that support this kind of thing.

AFAIK your best bet would be to re-encode to svcd format (try TOOLS/mencvcd).
All standalone DVD players don't play SVCDs though ;)