[MPlayer-users] fast/slow scenes

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Thu Jul 4 17:22:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:31:24 -0300 (ART)
"Alejandro Néstor Vargas" <anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar> wrote:

> I was cding Harry Potter picture with mplayer but I had some problems: In
> general, a bitrate of 600 or even less is enough for the 80/90% of the
> picture.But it has some scenes where it is needed 800. I noted that the bitrate is
> variable acording the needed, then:

Well, normally that is what variable bitrate encoding is for. But what exactly did
you notice? I can't guess it.

> How can I tell mencoder to use a very high bitrate for this scenes and one
> much lower for the rest of the picture?

Well that is not really something you have to tell to mencoder but more
precisely something you need to tell the codec mencoder is using.

I have tried 2-pass encoding using xvid and this was perfect for my needs
in such situations. It just optimizes the bitrate use in the second pass and
it does this perfectly selecting the perfect bitrate for every moment of the
movie.

If you havent tried this, try it, it is great. If not please let us know
-> which version of mplayer/mencoder are you using?
-> what codec are you using?
-> what commandline

etc.
We need that info in order to help you. Really.

With kind regards
Clemens